Friday, August 1, 2008

A bowl of winter goodness

Tonight was perfect for stewed rhubarb! We had it with ice-cream, but yoghurt, porridge, muesli or crumble all work well too. To make your own, make sure you have:
~ 1 bunch of rhuburb (6-8 sticks)
~ 1/4 cup water
~ 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)

Then all it takes is:
1. Wash & trim dodgy ends off rhubarb, then chop into 1cm lengths.
2. Put water, rhubarb and sugar in a small saucepan & bring to the boil.
3. Simmer gently for 10 minutes (or until rhubarb has separated).
4. When suitably mushy, serve! It keeps well in the fridge for a few days too, if you can resist eating it all. Pfft, good luck.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I stewed rhubarb this week too! (First time for me.) I added a sprinkle of rose water and am just smitten with this dish.

Anonymous said...

Yummy,
My grandmother used to make this all the time when I would visit!!
She used to add apples and/or plums to the stewing process.
Sour plums really adds to it.
mmmmmmm.
makes me want some!!!

Jenaveve said...

Yeah, my grandmother tried to force feed me this stuff and I hated it... but I've never actually tried it since then.

Maybe I will give your recipe a whirl.

Unknown said...

Rhubarb is one of those things you just never buy unless you have a plan for it... but I definitely recommend giving it a try!

.girl ferment. said...

stewed rhubarb is so good with everything.
yumm.
xx